Monday, July 11, 2016

A bit about me

Carrie Buchanan. Photo by Katie DeBaun.
After asking my students to write about themselves in their blogs today, I should share a bit about myself. I have already mentioned here that I am Canadian. I spent many years as a journalist, first in Montreal and later in Ottawa, where I worked for 12 years at the Ottawa Citizen, the major newspaper in Canada's capital city.

I came to Cleveland in 2006 so it's been 10 years, and I'm feeling more like a Clevelander every day. It has been so exciting to see the Cavaliers win the NBA title, to see the Republican National Convention coming to town, and to observe Cleveland's renaissance prior to these events, that seems now to be fully flowering.

Montreal is a bicultural city and I grew up as part of the minority English culture in a primarily French province (Quebec). This made me interested in other cultures, and I have been happy to discover a rich diversity in Cleveland, where African-American culture adds so much to the environment of this city. Meanwhile, the city's white community of primarily European immigrants -- many of them from Ireland and many more from Eastern Europe -- have a tremendous set of cultural institutions as well. Between them, Cleveland's diverse communities have produced some of the finest music and arts in the country, including a vibrant theatre scene and one of the world's finest orchestras, as well as a collection of top notch museums. There is also great jazz, blues and gospel music in this city, which I truly enjoy.

I won't run on any more about myself, but encourage anyone who is interested in my work to visit my website at www.carriebuchanan.com.



No comments:

Post a Comment